Sunday 13 December 2009

Managing on a gluten free diet

One offshoot of going through a crisis in my life has been a return of digestive problems so I have tackled it by following the advice of a recommended naturopath. I'd been on wheat free diets in the past which helped me considerably and now was advised to avoid gluten!

It had been a difficult time becoming wheat free (over 30 years ago) but there again there was not much ready to eat food (like bread) around for strange beings such as myself on funny diets. I remember buying all sorts of flours (potato, rice, maize for example) and then giving up and sticking to faithful ryvitas and rice cakes. (It must have been the beginning of the rice cake era!)

However, it's a different story now with a choice of gluten free bread and sweet delights available from supermarkets such as Asda (our local) and Sainsbury's. I've chosen as my favourite a lovely sliced brown gluten free loaf which is not as expensive as it might have been many moons ago and is most palatable when toasted. (Hint - always toast gluten free bread!)

My treat on my trips to the town centre in Hemel is a pot of tea or a cappucino at my favourite haunt the Tika organic cafe, accompanied by a lovely gluten free walnut brownie or a packet of gluten free chocolate biscuits which are, amazingly enough, YUMMY!

An evening out with family yesterday, included a restaurant meal at The Harvester - main veggie meal (yes, I am veggie as well as gluten free!) was delicious mushrooms stuffed with caerphilly cheese with new potatoes and peas, with a starter of healthy and juicy fresh melons and berries. No bread at all, so I felt satisfied and light. On return to the relatives' house late at night I had my own bread toasted (they were most accommodating and understanding!) and stuffed myself with unusually flavoured potato crisps with my cups of tea...

It's not so difficult becoming gluten free and when I do it properly I feel more well in myself than I have been for years while after a while it becomes second nature though does take some time to get used to!

No comments:

Post a Comment